Thursday, August 21, 2008

TMI: Too Much Information (so go get the good stuff)

Annapolis ValleyI grew up in Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia where people were down-to-earth, trustworthy and got their fresh milk and eggs from the farmers who worked the land. At the age of 17, I left, seeking the urban lifestyle I craved and spent the next few years doing the back-and-forth between Toronto & Vancouver then decided to leave the country to see the rest of the world. For the next decade I lived in major metropolitan centers in Europe and USA, traveling to other countries to explore the local communities and experience their way of life.

I remember one year while living in San Francisco I went home to Nova Scotia to visit my family and noticed that the leading story on the front of the newspaper was a positive one. The nation's news and world tragedies followed. I thought to myself -- start your day with something good, how profound!

That had an enormous affect on me at the time. Since I was never a big fan of the media (or TV in general -- though there are always exceptions: The Nature of Things, 'This American Life' and 'Dispatches'), I returned with the concept of 'good news' which ultimately inspired my artist moniker girlie8tv, and this blog 'girlie ate television', the idea being to replace traditional media with the shows from life.


One-stop shopping. Great intention, poor delivery

Years later I have returned to Canada. Gone are the days of buying milk & eggs from local farmers. The majority of folks go to the Superstores...massive buildings that contain every product you could ever (want) need.

My problem with most of the large chain stores is not what they are as much as what they have in them. Where are the socially responsible businesses who can provide nourishing/non-genetically modified/poison-free food that hasn't been soaked in preservatives to last through the two weeks it takes to get shipped to us? Or, products that haven't been produced by questionable methods in a third world country that are packaged in unnecessary plastic that ends up in a landfill which is in somebody else's backyard?

Honestly. This doesn't seem outrageous to me.

Anyway, my goal is to present information related to food & nutrition and personal well-being...anything that may benefit those of you who read this. I'd like to stay clear of politics, but as you will find , it isn't always possible as a lot of decisions are fueled by the same corporate leaders who end up in government. Small world.

The first item I am going to share with you is Sweet Misery - A Poisoned World, a documentary about aspartame made in 2004 by Cori Brackett who, after drinking 6 to 10 diet cokes every day for 6 years, was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis . This shows what sweeteners do to the human body. Aspartame has been proven to cause brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia and other serious health problems, even death.

An eye opener.

No comments: